The annual Virginia Beach Future Teacher Award winners are selected by the principals at each comprehensive high school as well as the Technical and Career Education Center every year. These select students participate in either the elective Virginia Teachers for Tomorrow course or the Early Childhood Education program, and interested seniors are invited to participate in the selection process at their schools.
Candidates must successfully complete their classes, submit a portfolio and participate in an interview before finalists are selected. Winners who successfully go on to complete a teacher preparation program and graduate from a university and/or college may return to Virginia Beach City Public Schools (VBCPS) to accept a position as a teacher and/or school counselor.
This year, we are excited to honor the 24 outstanding students who are the 2021 Future Teacher Award recipients:
Bayside High School
Frank W. Cox High School
First Colonial High School
Green Run High School
Floyd E. Kellam High School
Kempsville High School
Princess Anne High School
Salem High School
Tallwood High School
Technical and Career Education Center
This ‘grow your own’ program is an opportunity for students and the division to continue to develop and cultivate new teachers. In addition, for the 2021-2022 school year, VBCPS has hired eight prior Virginia Beach Future Teacher Award winners who will be starting their VBCPS career this fall.
We are also excited to recognize these incoming staff members:
- Katherine Becker, Tallwood High School, Class of 2014
- School Counselor, Linkhorn Park, King’s Grant, and Cooke Elementary Schools
- Autumn Guild, Kellam High School, Class of 2016
- English Teacher, Princess Anne High School
- Kelsey Langland Hayes, First Colonial High School, Class of 2017
- English Teacher, Lynnhaven Middle School
- Kristin Levis, Salem High School, Class of 2015
- 1st Grade Teacher, Rosement Elementary School
- Cayte Lyonnais, Cox High School, Class of 2017
- Math Teacher, Green Run High School
- Brooke Moore, Cox High School, Class of 2016
- 1st Grade Teacher, Thoroughood Elementary School
- Lauren Wickizer, Kempsville High School, Class of 2015
- 2nd Grade Teacher, Linkhorn Park Elementary School
- Mallory Wolf, Salem High School, Class of 2016
- 3rd Grade Teacher, Fairfield Elementary School
For more information on becoming a division teacher or staff member, please call the Department of Human Resources at 757-263-1133.