Congratulations to the following six Virginia Beach high schools who earned the 2012-13 Claudia Dodson Virginia High School League (VHSL) Sportsmanship, Ethics and Integrity Award: Cox, Kempsville, Landstown, Princess Anne, Salem and Tallwood.
Virginia Beach led the state with the most schools represented on this award list.
Twenty-five high schools across the Commonwealth were given the award from the VHSL, which recognizes schools that make sportsmanship a priority within the school and community.
“I consider this to be the Virginia High School League’s most prestigious award,” VHSL Executive Director Ken Tilley said in a press release. “It’s the only award that the entire school is graded on.”
According to the VHSL, there is no limit on the number of schools that might be recognized in a given year; selection is based on whether or not the school meets the criteria, which utilizes a self-assessment checklist of 50 points relating to administration, coaches, student-athletes, cheerleaders, performance groups, student support, parents and spectators. The total score is then adjusted by deducting points for student-athlete ejections, coach ejections and inappropriate behavior at state championship events. Using the adjusted score, a school must score 90 percent or better to qualify.
Here is a complete listing of this year’s award winners:
- Bethel High, Hampton (1st recognition)
- Booker T. Washington High, Norfolk (4th recognition)
- Central High, Woodstock (2nd recognition)
- Chilhowie High., Chilhowie (1st recognition)
- East Rockingham High, Elkton (1st recognition)
- Frank W. Cox High, Virginia Beach (13th recognition)
- Grafton High, Yorktown (4th recognition)
- Granby High, Norfolk (2nd recognition)
- Grassfield High, Chesapeake (6th recognition)
- Great Bridge High, Chesapeake (10th recognition)
- Hickory High, Chesapeake (5th recognition)
- Kempsville High., Virginia Beach (7th recognition)
- Lafayette High., Williamsburg (3rd recognition
- Lake Taylor High, Norfolk (6th recognition)
- Landstown High, Virginia Beach (8th recognition)
- Norview High, Norfolk (5th recognition)
- Oakton High., Vienna (4th recognition)
- Patrick Henry High, Glade Spring (3rd recognition)
- Princess Anne High, Virginia Beach (12th recognition)
- Radford High, Radford (4th recognition)
- Salem High, Virginia Beach (8th recognition)
- Tabb High, Yorktown (3rd recognition)
- Tallwood High, Virginia Beach (10th recognition)
- Western Albemarle High, Albemarle (3rd recognition)
- Western Branch High, Chesapeake (7th recognition)