Virginia Beach City Public Schools (VBCPS) offers a pre-kindergarten program for children who will be 4 years old on or before Sept. 30, and who meet eligibility criteria based on the Virginia Preschool Initiative. The full-day program is offered at no cost to families and serves children who are exposed to high-risk factors and situations that are likely to have an adverse impact on their development.
Parents/guardians interested in applying for the 2019-20 school year must attend one of the division’s eligibility application sessions conducted on select dates through April. In order to be seen at the screening, applicants are required to bring a completed application and various supporting documents such as proof of residency, child’s birth certificate and income statements, among others. The VBPCS pre-kindergarten webpage includes a detailed list of required documents as well as a link to the application and listing of the 26 elementary schools that offer the program. The application also may be requested at any VBCPS elementary school.
The following eligibility application sessions are scheduled to accept applications for the 2019-20 school year:
- Tuesday, Feb. 12, Diamond Springs Elementary School, 4-6 p.m.
- Thursday, Feb. 21: Bow Creek Recreation Center, 11 a.m.-2 p.m.
- Tuesday, Feb. 26: Parkway Elementary School, 4-6 p.m.
- Wednesday, March 6: College Park Elementary School, 4-6 p.m.
- Monday, March 11: Laskin Road Annex, 10 a.m.-2 p.m.
- Tuesday, March 19: Laskin Road Annex, 10 a.m.-2 p.m.
- Thursday, March 28: Plaza Annex, 9:30 a.m.-2 p.m.
- Monday, April 1: Birdneck Elementary School, 4-6 p.m.
- Tuesday, April 9: Ocean Lakes Elementary School, 4-6 p.m.
- Tuesday, April 23: Bow Creek Recreation Center, 11 a.m.-2 p.m.
Acceptance into the program is not on a first-come, first-serve basis, and families will be informed of acceptance and waitlist status via U.S. Postal Service at the end of July. If accepted, students will attend one of the schools hosting pre-kindergarten classes, which follow the division’s school calendar and hours.
Schools that will have pre-kindergarten classes for the 2019-2020 school year are:
- Arrowhead Elementary
- Bayside Elementary
- Birdneck Elementary
- Christopher Farms Elementary
- College Park Elementary
- Cooke Elementary
- Diamond Springs Elementary
- Glenwood Elementary
- Holland Elementary
- Kempsville Elementary
- Kempsville Meadows Elementary
- Linkhorn Park Elementary
- Luxford Elementary
- Lynnhaven Elementary
- Malibu Elementary
- Ocean Lakes Elementary
- Parkway Elementary
- Pembroke Meadows Elementary
- Providence Elementary
- Rosemont Elementary
- Salem Elementary
- Shelton Park Elementary
- Three Oaks Elementary
- Trantwood Elementary
- White Oaks Elementary
- Windsor Woods Elementary
Eligible students who live within the attendance zone of a school with pre-K classes are considered first.
For more information about the VBCPS pre-kindergarten program or the application process, visit vbschools.com. Or, contact the Office of Teaching and Learning at 263-1429 or via email at VBPre-Kinfo@vbschools.com.