The community is invited to help celebrate Youth Art Month and Music in our Schools Month by attending the fine arts events hosted by Virginia Beach City Public Schools (VBCPS) to showcase its students’ many talents.
Student artwork from all VBCPS schools, grades 1-12, is on display at the Virginia Museum of Contemporary Art. The exhibit, featured in the Fleming Gallery, is free and open to the public through March 28 during the museum’s regular operating hours.
Two additional exhibits, which open during Youth Art Month and continue through April, also will feature VBCPS student artwork. The Audubon Student Art Show will be displayed at Pembroke Mall March 21 through April 17. The Art of the Military Child art exhibit will be installed at Lynnhaven Mall March 26 to celebrate the Month of the Military Child throughout April.
The culminating event for Music in Our Schools Month is the school division’s annual Virginia Beach All-City Music Festival, which showcases the talents of elementary and middle school music students. More than 1,300 students will perform on stage at the Sandler Center for the Performing Arts in the following five concerts that are free to the public:
- March 23, 7 p.m. – Sixth-Grade Middle School Band, Virginia Beach Rising Stars Steel Drum Ensemble and Seventh-Grade Middle School Band
- March 24, 12:30 p.m. – Elementary String Orchestra (Arco group) and Sixth-Grade Grade Middle School String Orchestra
- March 24, 2:30 p.m. – Elementary String Orchestra (Pizzicato group) and Seventh/Eighth-Grade Middle School String Orchestra
- March 24, 5 p.m. – Elementary Chorus (Colonial group) and Sixth-Grade Middle School Chorus
- March 24, 7:30 p.m. – Elementary Chorus (Dominion group) and Seventh-Grade Middle School Chorus
A schedule of additional school concerts and performances is available on the Performing Arts Calendar on vbschools.com.