The 2016-17 PTA Reflections contest theme posed a question to students: “What is Your Story?”
Virginia Beach City Public Schools (VBCPS) students submitted their stories to local PTA units in six categories: dance choreography, film production, literature, music composition, photography and visual arts.
Award-winning Reflections entries at the local level advanced to the Tidewater district level and subsequently to the Virginia PTA for review.
The following three VBCPS students won the top PTA Reflections award, Outstanding Interpretation, at the state level:
- Samantha Boundrant, Kempsville High School, literature (special artist division)
- Izzy Henson, Plaza Middle School, literature (junior/middle school division)
- Michael Lawlor, Cox High School, film production (high school division)
All three state winners qualified for review at the national level and Lawlor’s film, “Big Wave Surf,” earned a third-place National PTA Award of Merit in the high school division.
Lawlor’s winning production was filmed over the course of several months with the sole purpose of proving anyone wrong who does not believe Virginia has waves big enough to surf.
“Honestly, I just entered the PTA Reflections film contest just to see what would happen, if I could get anywhere,” Lawlor said. “But the film clip kept winning; it’s actually pretty cool.”
Four additional VBCPS students won awards from the Virginia PTA for their Reflections entries:
- Kenneth Rodman, Ocean Lakes High School, Award of Excellence, musical composition (high school division)
- Nathaniel Zhang, Great Neck Middle School, Award of Excellence, musical composition (junior/middle school division)
- Chandler Doebler, Ocean Lakes High School, Award of Merit, photography (special artist division)
- Joshua Dadiomoff Creeds ES Honorable Mention, visual arts (special artist division)
The National PTA has already announced its 2017-18 Reflections theme: “Within Reach.” Local PTA units will share timelines and guidelines next fall for submitting student entries.
For more information about the PTA Reflections program, visit the National PTA website