Are you the parent/guardian of a child who will be 5-years-old on or before Sept. 30? Make sure to mark the calendar for Tuesday, April 25 at 9 a.m. That is when the Virginia Beach City Public Schools (VBCPS) annual kindergarten registration and orientation event will take place at all of the division’s elementary schools (except Newtown and Bettie F. Williams).
While parents meet the school principal and fill out the necessary paperwork for their child to attend school in the fall, students will spend the time touring the school, meeting teachers and even riding on the school bus.
Parents can determine their child’s zoned school for kindergarten by visiting the School Locator/Map Center on www.vbschools.com, or by calling their neighborhood school. Detailed registration information and an overview of the kindergarten program can be found on the division’s kindergarten registration page, www.vbschools.com/kindergarten.
Registration forms are available at www.vbschools.com/kindergarten. In order to register their child for kindergarten, parents need to bring the following documents:
- two proofs of address: 1) a lease agreement/mortgage statement; and 2) a current gas, electric or water bill.
- a certified copy of the child’s birth certificate
- a physical examination (dated within 12 months prior to starting kindergarten)
- a current immunization report
- the child’s Social Security number
- two current emergency contact phone numbers
For more information about kindergarten registration, parents should contact their neighborhood school or the Department of School Leadership at 757-263-1088.