Early Discoveries, a Virginia Beach City Public Schools (VBCPS) preschool program contracted with the YMCA of South Hampton Roads, is conducting eligibility conferences for the 2015-2016 school year. The program is made possible through the Virginia Preschool Initiative, a Virginia Department of Education grant program.
Early Discoveries serves Virginia Beach preschoolers who will be 4 years old on or before September 30 and who are continuously exposed to high-risk factors and situations that are likely to have an adverse impact on their social, emotional, physical and cognitive development.
Information about the risk factors considered for eligibility purposes, program sites and the application are available on the Early Discoveries Preschool Program page on vbschools.com.
Parents/legal guardians are also invited to attend one of the Early Discoveries eligibility conferences at the Meyera Oberndorf Central Library, located at 4100 Virginia Beach Boulevard, on one of the following dates and times:
- Tuesday, June 23 – 9:15-11:15 a.m. or 1-3 p.m.
- Tuesday, June 30 – 1:30-4 p.m.
- Tuesday, July 7 – 9:15-11:15 a.m. or 1-3 p.m.
- Thursday, July 9 – 9:15-11:15 a.m. or 1-3 p.m.
Early Discoveries coordinators ask that parents/legal guardians attending an eligibility conference bring the following items in order to complete an application:
- Child’s certified birth certificate (original only)
- Child’s Social Security card
- Two proofs of residence (lease agreement or mortgage statement and one of the following: current electric, gas or water bill)
- Current paycheck stubs (four most recent) or proof of 2014 incomes (W2, SSA 1099 or SSI)
- Unemployment income (if applicable)
- SNAP or TANF documentation and case number (if applicable)
- WIC ID number (if applicable)
- Custody papers (if applicable)
- Child support documentation (if applicable)
- Current physical exam report and immunization record
- Current information for two emergency contacts
For questions concerning Early Discoveries eligibility conferences or enrollment, please call 757-648-4443.