Virginia Beach City Public Schools (VBCPS) Parent Connection established the Beach Bags program in 2009 to provide meals and healthy snacks to students who may not have enough to eat during weekends and school vacations. The outreach program continues to date supported entirely by donations from community members, areas businesses and school organizations.
The Beach Bags program will host two food drives in October to benefit VBCPS students. Volunteers will accept donations Saturday, Oct. 15, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. at Landstown Commons Shopping Center (behind Finn McCool’s Fish House and Highway 55). Donations will also be collected Thursday, Oct. 20, from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. at Pembroke Mall (in the Kohl’s parking lot behind Walgreens).
The following food items will be accepted in addition to tax-deductible donations made payable to the Virginia Beach Education Foundation:
- Individual-sized cereal boxes or oatmeal
- 8-ounce servings of shelf-stable milk
- Individual-sized meals (ravioli, spaghetti and meatballs, macaroni and cheese, chunky soups, etc.)
- 4-ounce or larger fruit cups
- 100% juice boxes
- Snack items (granola bars, pudding cups, pretzels, trail mix, snack crackers, etc.)
For more information about the upcoming food drives or to make a donation during the school year, please contact the Office of Community Engagement at 757-263-1936 or firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.vbschools.com/beachbags.