The Week in Photos: Oct. 16-20

Joining the nationwide Socktober campaign, sixth-grade students at Plaza Middle are collecting socks during the month of October to donate to The Lighthouse Center, a day program in Virginia Beach for homeless adults.

At Kempsville Meadows Elementary, Office Associate Lisa Trimm and Assistant Principal Robyn Backer are the Federal Card Fairies. They hope to motivate all students to return their federal cards in on time.

During America’s Safe Schools Week Oct. 15-21, Security Assistant Sue Carroll was honored with a banner signed by the students of Arrowhead Elementary to thank her for all her hard work.

Rosemont Elementary’s Learn, Make and Create Center is up and running! Kindergartners used their own words to retell a story using Book Creator on their iPads. This is just one more example of how Rosemont students are “Digging Deeper into Learning” this year, using their technology tools with the library media specialist during small group instruction.

Students at Brandon Middle met in the library for a pop-up class Oct. 16 to create their own storybook pumpkins to place in the pumpkin patch. They decorated pumpkins to look like one of their favorite characters from a book that they had read.

Madison McCullen helped mix up apples in Arla Shindelar’s kindergarten class at Pembroke Meadows Elementary. Students tasted and compared Granny Smith apples to Golden Delicious apples and were surprised at the taste difference. However, they learned when the apples were put together to make applesauce, they all tasted yummy.

Betsabé Sayers (left), an alumni ambassador from the Culinary Institute of Virginia (CIV), spoke to Virginia Beach Technical and Career Education (Tech Center) culinary arts students about CIV programs, scholarships and financial aid. The culminating activity included a tutorial showing students how to make gnocchi. Tech Center culinary student Bretany Carr (right) said, “I really enjoyed participating in the culinary demonstration and learning about the Culinary Institute of Virginia. It showed me a fun and realistic opportunity for my future.” 

Creeds Elementary students and staff celebrated the announcement of their Reading Teacher of the Year, Diane Marx, a third-grade teacher.

Congratulations to the newly installed Red Mill Elementary SCA Officers (from left): Nick Pierson, president; Riley Staples, vice president; Ava Heil, secretary; and Layla Zanni, treasurer.

Windsor Woods Elementary second-grade students in Mary McClaskey’s class wore their Windsor Woods pawprint “eye blacks” on Tubular Tuesday during the SCA’s spirit week.

On Oct. 17, Pembroke Meadows Elementary hosted “Camp Read-a-Lot,” a family literacy night. There were many different activities for the campers. Jesus Osnaya (right) went fishing for letters, and Jackson Hayes and his mom (left) enjoyed the s’mores making station, which required following multi-step directions. Students and families also enjoyed reading under the stars and Breakout EDU stations.

Fourth-grader Elizabeth Clark posed in front of a display created with feathers made by all Creeds Elementary students. The lesson’s theme was creating across literal and metaphorical realms, and students read poems and quotes about having metaphorical wings and flying. They also listened to Miranda Lambert’s song “Roots and Wings” and came to understand what it means to have roots and wings.

The fall field trip to Hunt Club Farm for the division’s more than 800 prekindergartners began this week. During each visit students take a hayride, visit the petting zoo, select their own pumpkins and enjoy a picnic lunch with their classmates and parent volunteers.

Glenwood Elementary fourth- and second-graders teamed up to become reading buddies in the school courtyard. Older students helped younger students with their reading fluency and confidence.

Is it a solid or liquid? Second-grade students in Dawn Winchester’s class at Centerville Elementary explore oobleck, inspired by the Dr. Seuss book “Bartholomew and the Oobleck.”

Fourth-grade students at in Sarah Arnold’s class at Old Donation School culminated their unit on the earth, moon and sun by creating their own rovers. The students researched celestial bodies and used repurposed materials to design rovers that could explore their planet of interest.

Lynnhaven Elementary kindergartener Cora Pierce used an iPad to draw what happens in the fall. Of her drawing she said, “I pick a pumpkin.”

During afternoon dismissal at Corporate Landing Middle Oct. 17, the Jets band and cheerleaders led a display of school spirit to cheer on all of the CLMS teams.

Principal Mikelle Williams congratulated Kindergarten teacher Ruth Kral for being selected as Kempsville Meadows Elementary’s Reading Teacher of the Year.

Arrowhead Elementary rocks! Faculty and staff members participated in a rock painting activity this week organized by the school’s hospitality committee and by Rose Mezzatesta, art teacher, and Brittney West, school counselor, who chair the committee. Rocks for the activity were donated by Home Depot. The activity provided the perfect opportunity for staff to relax and unwind.Advanced Technology Center students attended The Youth Entrepreneur Summit held at Tidewater Community College Oct. 18. During the event, hosted by Opportunity, Inc. and the Youth Career Center of Hampton Roads, students attended a networking event, entrepreneurship workshops and a luncheon. Workshop topics included: Building a Brand, Design Thinking, Funding a Business, Creating a Franchise, Building Partnerships and Developing a Value Proposition.

Three Oaks Elementary students participated in the school’s Lunchbox Derby as the culminating activity of the fifth-grade science unit on force, motion and energy. They used what they learned to work collaboratively and design a vehicle made entirely out of fruits and vegetables that would travel the farthest distance down a wooden ramp. The winning “car” traveled more than 10 meters.

Student journalists at Cox High recently learned that their online school newspaper, Falcon Press, earned a Virginia High School League (VHSL) second place distinction for the 2016-2017 school year in the annual Media Evaluations and Multimedia contest. Along with a Columbia Scholastic Press Association gold medal for 2016, Falcon Press has been awarded six consecutive VHSL class distinctions.

Princess Anne Elementary student Leilani Lane uses an eye gaze device to assist her with communication at school. Erin Tokajer and David DeCant, staff in the Special Education Annex’s assistant technology department, worked together to customize a mount to allow for optimal placement of the communication device, ultimately helping Leilani’s “voice” be heard.

Corporate Landing Middle seventh-grader Emma Ashworth prepared to fly the plane she constructed in Arcadia Parson’s technology education class.

The Advanced Technology Center honored school bus drivers in celebration of School Bus Transportation Employee Appreciation Day. Edwin Jimenez (left photo) received a warm welcome and snacks from Stacey Alexander, school administrative associate II, and Kathryn Lynn Baker, school office associate II. Brenda Thompson (right photo) was also greeted by Alexander and the ATC Welcome Wagon.Malibu Elementary students Chase Sanwick and Memphis Thorton helped clean up the school grounds during a meeting of the Malibu Eco Club. The club includes students in grades 2-5 who also participate in recycling efforts, maintain a teaching garden and discuss ways to help the environment and the community.

Lynnhaven Elementary students and staff had a fun spirit week! Second-grade teacher Kim Morse had a wacky hairdo for Crazy Hair Day and second-graders in Lori Horner’s class enjoyed Hat Day.Fifth-grade students in the Geocaching Club at Windsor Woods Elementary utilized Morse code to find their next clue. After finding the clue, they assembled a Virginia State Seal puzzle, which, once fully assembled, contained a code in all four corners of the puzzle that enabled them to unlock a breakout box that contained a candy treat.

Students in Daria Lake’s preschool class at Landstown Elementary had a great time playing “Candy Corn Toss.” In the group activity, a collaboration between teachers and therapy staff from the Special Education Annex, students tried to maintain their balance in a one-half kneel position while throwing the candy corn bean bags toward a target. It proved to be a fun way to improve strength, balance, body awareness and hand-eye coordination!

Salem Elementary Principal Ann Shufflebarger (right) announced that First-grade teacher Desiree Lacernathe was selected as the school’s Reading Teacher of the Year.

Second-grade teacher Claire Love was chosen as Christopher Farms Elementary’s Reading Teacher of the Year. View the video of the surprise presentation.

We have spirit, yes we do! The Chick-fil-A cow visited Newtown Elementary before the school’s spirit night Oct. 19 at the restaurant’s Haygood shopping center location. Families enjoyed dinner while staff helped serve meals, and a portion of the proceeds from the evening was donated to Newtown.

At Shelton Park Elementary, first-graders became engineers and built a house to withstand the breath of the storybook character Big Bad Wolf. Williams Mantos tested his house, made of toothpicks and marshmallows, in the SPES Wind Tunnel.

Providence Elementary is celebrating its “Senior Class,” a group of staff members who have announced their plans to retire this school year. The retiring staff members – Melissa Knight, Helen Ryan, Denise Adams, Ann Holcombe, Donna Roenker, Linda Seybold and Sarah Muth – are showing their Providence Elementary pride with “farewell tour” T-shirts featuring a list of their names.WTKR Meteorologist Myles Henderson visited the Newtown Morning News Crew Oct. 20 to see how Newtown Elementary shares news and weather with staff and students daily. He offered tips and advice and answered students’ questions.

John B. Dey Elementary safety patrols are collecting flashlights and batteries to donate to residents of Puerto Rico who are without power as a result of damage caused by Hurricane Maria. The collection is in honor of Bernice Ladikos, a cafeteria monitor at the school and native of Puerto Rico, whose family still  lives on the island and isn’t expected to have power until December. The class that collects the most batteries and flashlights will win pizza donated by Shorebreak Pizza. The donations will be transported to Puerto Rico near the end of October by Lynnhaven Dive Center.

The Week in Photos features photo submissions received from school media liaisons and school administrators as well as those taken by staff in the Department of Media and Communications. View more photos on The Week in Photos page on Kaleidoscope.

Tell your friends! FacebooktwittermailFacebooktwittermailFollow us! FacebooktwitteryoutubeinstagramFacebooktwitteryoutubeinstagram