Zigrang, Delaney named 2017 Instructional Leaders of the Year

The theme for the 2017 Administrators’ Conference was, “Be Amazing: A Call for Transformational Leaders.” And, Virginia Beach City Public Schools (VBCPS) Superintendent Dr. Aaron Spence used his keynote remarks Tuesday afternoon to acknowledge two amazing principals in the division by awarding the Instructional Leader of the Year honors.

At the elementary level, Thoroughgood Elementary School’s Dr. Cheryl Zigrang was named the Instructional Leader of the Year. Salem High School Principal Matt Delaney was awarded the honor for the secondary level.

Serving as the principal of one of the school division’s digital anchor model schools, it was noted Zigrang has her doors always open to the many visitors, both internally and externally, coming to learn more about effective digital integration supporting strong tier one instruction in a positive, rigorous and student-first learning environment. In addition, under Zigrang’s leadership, Thoroughgood has been called the “total package” for 21st century learning and instruction, and the school has earned full state accreditation based on preliminary SOL results (with mid to upper 90th percentile all SOL tests).

Over at Salem High School, Delaney was praised for fostering a strong culture and climate that places an emphasis on meeting the needs of all students by amplifying student voice through a strong student-principal advisory team and working with building instructional leaders to establish groundwork for a school-wide focus on student engagement. Additionally, Delaney has led the school to steady increases in students graduating on-time, achievement on end of course SOL tests and increased participation in rigorous course-work for Salem students.

As in years past, as part of the honor, both Zigrang and Delaney received a piece of artwork created by a local artist.

Congratulations!

Tell your friends! FacebooktwittermailFacebooktwittermailFollow us! FacebooktwitteryoutubeinstagramFacebooktwitteryoutubeinstagram