Currently, Virginia Beach City Public Schools has 136 National Board Certified Teachers, making it the fourth highest in Virginia in terms of teachers who have achieved this national distinction.
Created by teachers for teachers, National Board Certification is a voluntary, rigorous process. It is the most respected professional certification in education according to the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards.
Congratulations to the division’s five new National Board Certified Teachers:
- Maria Flores Apape, Salem High School, Mathematics/Adolescence and Young Adulthood
- Esther Coulter, Landstown High School, English Language Arts/Adolescence and Young Adulthood
- Natalia Goodloe, Kempsville High School, Music/Early Adolescence through Young Adulthood
- Gwen Mawhinney, Salem Elementary School, Generalist/Early Childhood
- Maria Rica Rhea Solock, Kempsville High School, Mathematics/Adolescence and Young Adulthood
In addition, congratulations to the following teachers who renewed their National Board certification.
- Beth Camper, Princess Anne High School, English Language Arts/Adolescence and Young Adulthood
- Mark Clemente, Kellam High School, Science/Adolescence and Young Adulthood
- Beth Estill, Malibu Elementary School, Literacy: Reading-Language Arts/Early and Middle Childhood
- Carrie Gantt, Kellam High School, English Language Arts/Adolescence and Young Adulthood
- Daniel Koach, Red Mill Elementary School, Generalist/Early Childhood
- Sara Lockett, Office of Technical and Career Education, Career and Technical Education/Early Adolescence through Young Adulthood
- Elizabeth Neydon, Salem Middle School, Science/Early Adolescence
- Judith Rea, Cox High School, Library Media/Early Childhood through Young Adulthood
- Darlene Sabol, Salem Middle School, Science/Early Adolescence
- Heidi Wimbush, Virginia Beach Middle School, Exceptional Needs Specialist/Early Childhood through Young Adulthood
The division’s Office of Professional Growth and Innovation (PGI) offers support programs to assist teachers interested in obtaining National Board Certification, including Saturday workshops and financial assistance. To learn more, visit the PGI page on www.vbcps.com or the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards website.Tell your friends! Follow us!