FACT: This 2019-2020 school year marked the third consecutive year that all of Virginia Beach City Public Schools’ 82 testing sites earned accreditation. Most Virginia Beach schools didn’t just meet, but far surpassed state benchmarks in several areas:
- 59 schools show combined rates for mathematics at 90 percent or higher, meaning that at least 90 percent or more of students at those schools passed SOLs or showed growth compared to the previous year;
- 35 schools show combined rates for English at 90 percent or higher, again indicating that 90 percent or more of students at those schools passed or showed growth on SOL tests;
- 69 schools showed an increase in math for the students with disabilities group;
- 63 schools showed an increase in math for the African-American reporting group; and
- 71 schools showed an increase in math in for the economically disadvantaged reporting group.
Virginia Beach continues to focus on supports for students with disabilities. These supports start with ensuring alignment of students’ present level of academic achievement and functional performance to the goals, accommodations and services in their Individualized Education Programs. When students with disabilities enter classrooms, there is specially-designed instruction to meet their needs, and data are used to measure progress and inform instruction. Collaboration between special education and general education educators continues to be a priority to develop strategies that meet all student needs and create a classroom atmosphere to support all students.