For families interested in the Virginia Beach City Public Schools (VBCPS) pre-kindergarten program, there is still time to submit an application. The school division will host three more application eligibility sessions:
- May 16, 4-6 p.m. at Lynnhaven Elementary School (210 Dillon Dr.);
- May 21, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the Meyera E. Oberndorf Central Library (4100 Virginia Beach Blvd.); and
- June 5, 4-6 p.m. at Arrowhead Elementary School (5549 Susquehanna Dr.).
The pre-kindergarten program is for children who reside in Virginia Beach and who will be 4 years old on or before Sept. 30. Funded through Virginia Preschool Initiative (VPI) and Title I grants awarded to VBCPS, the program is offered at no cost to students. Students are selected based on VPI eligibility criteria and identified risk factors.
The application review process will begin after the final session in June, and families will be notified of acceptance and waitlist status via U.S. Postal Service at the end of July.
Parents/guardians attending one of the upcoming eligibility sessions must bring the following documents:
- Completed pre-kindergarten application;
- Two proofs of residence/address (current lease/mortgage agreement and current utility bill – gas, electric or water bill);
- Child’s certified birth certificate (original document); and
- Proof of income for all individuals contributing to the family (2017 W-2 forms, SSA, 1099, SSI or two recent pay check stubs).
Additional documents that may be needed (if applicable):
- VBCPS Shared Housing form (required if a parent/guardian does not rent or own housing but lives with someone else);
- Unemployment documentation;
- SNAP/TANF/WIC (case worker name/phone number, case number, benefits received);
- Individualized Education Program (IEP);
- Court ordered custody documents and Custody Registration Form (copy for file);
- Kinship Care Form (required if an adult relative is providing care to the child); and
- A copy of a current physical/immunization examination report completed between Sept. 4, 2017 and Sept. 4, 2018. (All students who are accepted to the program must provide this report to complete registration if it is not available at the application session.)
More information about the VBCPS pre-kindergarten program, including school sites, is available on the pre-kindergarten webpage on vbschools.com.
With any questions regarding the program, please contact the Department of Teaching and Learning at 757-263-1492 or email Tracy Griffin at Tracy.Griffin@vbschools.com.