Virginia Beach City Public Schools (VBCPS) offers a pre-kindergarten program for children who will be 4 years old on or before Sept. 30, and who meet eligibility criteria based on the Virginia Preschool Initiative. The program is offered at no cost to families and serves children who are exposed to high-risk factors and situations that are likely to have an adverse impact on their development.
Parents/guardians interested in applying for the 2017-18 school year must attend one of the division’s eligibility application sessions conducted on select dates in March through June. In order to be seen at the screening, applicants are required to bring a completed application and various supporting documents such as proof of residency, child’s birth certificate and income statements, among others. The pre-kindergarten program application is available online or may be requested at any VBCPS elementary school.
The following six eligibility application sessions are scheduled for March and April:
- Friday, March 10: Meyera Oberndorf Central Library (4100 Virginia Beach Blvd.), 11 a.m. – 3 p.m.
- Friday, March 24: Meyera Oberndorf Central Library (4100 Virginia Beach Blvd.), 11 a.m. – 3 p.m.
- Tuesday, March 28: Birdneck Elementary School (957 South Birdneck Road), 4 p.m. – 6 p.m.
- Tuesday, April 4: Shelton Park Elementary School (1700 Shelton Road), 4 p.m. – 6 p.m.
- Tuesday, April 18: Glenwood Elementary School (2213 Round Hill Drive), 4 p.m. – 6 p.m.
- Wednesday, April 26: Windsor Woods Elementary School (233 Presidential Blvd.), 4 p.m. – 6 p.m.
Acceptance into the program is not on a first-come, first-serve basis, and families will be informed of acceptance and waitlist status at the end of July. The full-day program follows the VBCPS school calendar and hours.
More information about the pre-kindergarten program, eligibility criteria and the application process is available on the pre-kindergarten webpage on vbschools.com. Parents/guardians with questions about the program or who are unable to attend one of the citywide application sessions should call 757-263-1492.